Finally, a before/after! Today I finally got to the Shelf of Random Electronics and Crafts! It does not look substantially different, but those five big craft bins actually came from the living room (they were not cluttery, but getting them down from the top of a bookcase was unfun) and I put some other stuff from elsewhere in the room on the bookcase. Long-term I’m hoping to get rid of this bookcase entirely, but in the meantime this is less of a pile of junk than it was (let’s not talk about the contents of one of those plastic shoeboxes, though).
I put a bunch of electronics in the Goodwill and recycle piles, including a clock/radio alarm clock I never use (because I now have an iPod, a smartphone, and a nice battery-powered travel alarm clock which fulfill the same function with more versatility and less space), a casette recorder I haven’t used since college because technology, and three pairs of cruddy earbuds probably acquired on airplanes.
It probably took somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half total, in chunks over the course of the day.
Our major project for the day was taking all the fabric off the wire shelving we store it on, zip-tying the shelving together to make it more sturdy, and putting the fabric back in nice IKEA fabric drawers. Weirdly, in the process we went from 12 cubbies overflowing to…3 cubbies full. I guess it was packed in badly. (We did get rid of a garbage bag of junk/scraps, too.) So that will hopefully make it possible to empty some more office boxes.
Also my partner vacuumed, hooray. I have another box of stuff to take to Goodwill.
Things which did not get done: (1) finding studs in walls and measuring for shelving, (2) measuring my room so I can think about furniture rearrangement, (3) laundry, (4) listing cutting table on Craigslist. But you know, I think we’re over-ambitious about how much we can get done in a day and the wire shelving took longer than I expected.