Posts tagged "ohgod it's so gross"
Wow, today was interesting. I came home to my mom’s house because the term is over and it had been a while since i was last home. I decided to tackle the laundry room, since it was pretty disgusting and I can guarantee that it was not a healthy environment for anyone: especially the cats who eat in there. I couldn’t bring myself to do a load of laundry last time I was home, so I just know it was time to make a move.
BOY was I surprised with what I found.
- 14 expired 2-liters of soda
- tons of near-empty laundry/cleaning supply containers
- 20+ boxes of lightbulbs on top of the shelf, and hardly any in the “light bulb box”
- and the creme de la creme: under the washer and dryer was a build-up of dust and lint and just…. shit that had been collecting for what I discovered to be at least 21 years. my mom said she can’t remember if she’d ever cleaned under there, and I’ve never seen her do it either.
So what I did was:
- get rid of all the bottles of soda: dumped down the drain, but the containers were saved for recycling
- combined laundry detergent containers and got rid of a few extra bottles and organized all the ones left over. I wish I could have pared down them some more, but I was worried about mixing chemicals.
- condensed the lightbulb collection, organized it, and put it in the box. also I organized all the shelving and cleaned it up.
- attacked the shit out of the lint build up. hot water with soap, rubber gloves, and a spatula to scrape it off the ground. I found at least a dollar in loose change, like 6 pens, a tube of chapstick, and other random stuff among the debris.
I think I was pretty successful, since I wasn’t even planning on tackling this today when I got home..